Monday 20 August 2007

STEVIE G ON CHELSEA

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard accused referee Rob Styles of cracking under pressure from Chelsea players when he awarded a highly-controversial penalty which saw the visitors earn a draw at Anfield.

Fernando Torres netted with a fine side-footed effort after just 16 minutes, and Liverpool looked to be on course to repeat last season's league victory over the then-champions at Anfield.

But in the second period Frank Lampard belted home a penalty, controversially given for a challenge by Steve Finnan on Florent Malouda.

Asked if his side deserved to win, Gerrard said: 'I think so. I think a very, very unfair decision has got Chelsea a point today. But I think we proved today we are capable of challenging.

'I felt the referee didn't play well today. There was a lot of pressure from the Chelsea players and I thought he eventually cracked.'

Asked about his slim chances of overcoming a broken toe to play in England's friendly against Germany on Wednesday, Gerrard said: 'I looked fit today because I had a painkilling injection to play. I need to rest to be ready for the England qualifiers.

'I've spoken to Steve McClaren a couple of times and I'll speak to him tomorrow I suppose.

'The sensible thing is to make sure you are ready for big games.

'If the x-ray tomorrow shows the crack has healed, I'll be playing for England. But I can't see it because three days ago I had an x-ray and I'd broken a toe.'An irate Rafael Benitez described Styles' decision as 'unbelievable'. 'I think it was a mistake.

'Unbelievable. How can you change a game like this?'

Asked if he challenged Styles about the decision after the match, the Spaniard said: 'No. It is clear, he can watch the video. He may understand why we are so disappointed. Unbelievable.'

Benitez took positives from his side's performance, however.

'We had some chances against a very good team. The game was under control but this kind of decision, you cannot explain.

'Maybe he was under pressure all the time. I prefer not to say too much.'

Benitez's Chelsea counterpart Jose Mourinho insisted Styles had 'a positive game'.

However, the Portuguese reserved judgement on the penalty decision in his side's favour. He said: 'I don't know. But so many times you are unfortunate, especially in this stadium with referees' decisions, I don't know. I think it is a difficult game for referees.

'Not every player on the pitch was trying to help the referee. A couple of them, maybe because of their different culture, didn't help the referee. But two big teams at Anfield is not easy.

'Overall Mr Styles had a positive game.'

Mourinho talked of his adventurous team selection and formation but admitted he was happy to play for a point in the last five minutes.

'I think it is difficult to play here because they are a good team and it is a positive result for us, especially because we were losing.'

Snipped from : soccernet.com

No comments: