Monday 21 May 2007

GONZALEZ ATTRACTS SPANISH INTEREST

Mark Gonzalez could be heading for a swift return to La Liga after the Champions League final as a host of Spanish clubs are showing interest in the winger. The 22-year-old Chilean has struggled to make an impact in the Premiership following his arrival from Real Sociedad last summer.

There were high hopes the South American would solve Liverpool’s long standing problems on the left of midfield, but despite countless opportunities, it’s been an erratic debut campaign in England.

Now Real Betis are believed to be among those showing an interest in taking the youngster back to Spain, where he originally shone for Albacete, prompting his much delayed £2.5m transfer to the Reds.

Manager Rafa Benitez has been pondering whether to allow Gonzalez to leave or give him one more chance to shine next season. Benitez is weighing up whether the Chilean will have benefited from his first season at Anfield and can massively improve, or whether the last eight months are a sign he’s not up to the level of a club of Liverpool’s size.

It’s a sign of how Gonzalez has missed his opportunities when long term absentee Harry Kewell seems to have moved above him in the battle to win a place on the bench in Athens.

Gonzalez admits he faces an uncertain future, but is hopeful he’ll still be at the club beyond the summer. "I have a three-year contract but you never know what might happen. This is football and if I have to go somewhere else then I will have to deal with that, but at the moment I'm here and I'm very focused for the final and what happens in the future will come. If I have to go then I will go but I will arrive there with confidence because I have been at Liverpool and I must have been there for something. But I would like to stay at Liverpool next season and beyond," he acknowledged.

Gonzalez can at least console himself with the fact his winning goal against Maccabi Haifa in last August’s Champions League qualifier set Liverpool on the path to Athens. But since then, there have been few personal highlights.

“It has not been the best year for me and I know I can do more,” he said.

No comments: