Monday 21 May 2007

PENNANT : I CAN BECOME THE ANFIELD VERSION OF RONALDO

Jermaine Pennant wants to become Liverpool’s answer to Cristiano Ronaldo. The 24-year-old has in recent months began winning over the critics who frowned upon his £6.7million transfer to Anfield from Birmingham City last summer.

Pennant points to the case of fellow winger Ronaldo, who is now rampaging through Premiership defences after taking time to settle at Manchester United. And the Liverpool man is confident he is now in a position to make a similar impact.

“I feel I’ve got the platform now to push on and have a big impact at the club. It’s always difficult to go to a new club and have a major impact immediately, no matter how hard you try. Not many players go into a big team and then in their first season get off to a flyer. If you look at Cristiano Ronaldo, I don’t think he got off to a flyer in his first season at Manchester United. It took him a season and a half to really show what he’s capable of. Now I’m here, I’ve got used to the pace, the players, the manager and how we’re set up and play. I feel it has set me up to really explode at the club next season,” says Pennant

Pennant added: “I’ve won nothing here yet, but when I win that first medal, hopefully as a Champions League winner, that’s when I can hold my head up high and say I’ve been part of a winning team. It makes you feel 10 feet tall to be able to say you've played for Liverpool. I was involved in a relegation battle a year ago. I know what it’s like to be at the other end of the table, so it makes you appreciate something like this even more.”

No comments: